Sunday, March 21, 2010

Food. Food. Food.

My Sunday's revolved around food. Not in a fatty kind of way, but in an informational sort of learning experience. BULLETS!

"Food, Inc.": I'm kind of a weirdo when it comes to movies and books. Like I've said before, I like media that I can learn from. Stories about other people, research, reference. One of my favorite books is this giant dictionary-sort of book on Ingredients! It's awesome, and Food Inc. is as well. Director Robert Kenner take "Fast Food Nation" to another level altogether. Kenner, with help from Eric Schlosser, author of FFN and Michael Pollan, author of The Omnivore's Dilemma, showed the many levels of where food is coming from today. It was all very eye-opening, very close to home and very informative. Please watch if you care about what you're putting in your body and what goes on behind the scenes.

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution: Americans come off as hard-headed jackasses. It's a pity because really, what does Oliver have to gain from trying to show Americans how to better their lives? We come off as callous. But there's hope. There's hope in the form of a mother who wants to do the best by her kids. There's hope in kids who don't want to get picked on anymore in school. There's hope in kids learning to make better choices and learning about fruits and veggies. It's an interesting premise and I'm excited to see where the show will go.

Health Care Reform: Let's face it, health care wouldn't be getting so expensive and out of control if people treated their bodies with a little more respect, whether it be quitting smoking, exercising more or eating less-processed foods. Thank goodness the vote passed, but we, as a nation, should all be taking better care of ourselves.

Anyway, I'll stop before I get preachy. This week is going to be intense. I'll try to update more frequently. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment