Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Justin the Trainer is trying to kill me

I'm mostly kidding...kinda.
So I met with him today for the trainer Design Your Own Program session and its seems as though he wants to kill me.
Here's what my work outs are going to look like for the next month:
Day 1: Lower Body with more reps and sets than in February, plus 40-50 minutes of cardio.
Day 2 & 4: 40-50 minutes of cardio.
Day 3: Upper Body with more reps and sets than in February, plus 40-50 minutes of cardio.

I technically started on Day 2 today with 40 minutes on the elliptical never letting my heart rate get under 160. It was hard. My right calf is still twitching an hour more than an hour after I was done. Tiredsies. March is going to be a loooooong month.

Anyway, while I was working out I chose to watch Oprah. The main topic for the day was Beauty so it seemed fitting that Jessica Simpson should be the celebrity guest. The peg for the interview was Simpson's battle with weight criticism and the media and her new show...I thought it was all a little contrived. But that's because that Jessica gains 10 pounds and she's labeled a cow when really, this Jessica would probably do some crazy shit just to get anywhere near her weight.

But Simpson realizes that it really doesn't matter what People or US Weekly says about her, what matters is how she feels about herself. Right now, at 255, I'm feeling pretty awesome. I'm seeing results and I'm trying to work through any obstacles (read: cupcakes) that come my way, but, again, I'm sure I've said this before, this is going to be a long journey. Annoyingly long.

The episode also featured Beauty Around the World with reporting by Lisa Ling. Ling visited this insane amounts of plastic surgery. It costs about $300 dollars to get a eyebrow fix in China and these beautiful women were going in there in scores to get more Western-looking eyes. It really bummed me out. Especially when I think about how gorgeous Asian women are, prominent eyelids be damned! Then Ling went to the other facility where people go to grow: Again more insane surgery, this time involving bolts and screws and saws. All so that they could be anywhere from 3-12 inches taller. Now, I'm not the tallest, but I can deal. Either that or I'm a weinie and I a) Don't have $40 K and b) I'm not down with spending up to a year in rehab. Way intense.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite pieces written in National Geographic. I read it right before I went into high school, so it stuck with me. I'm going to re-read the Enigma of Beauty and think about it the next time I'm sweating buckets at Planet Fitness.

I'm off to find some dinner in my fridge, I have to make my way to H-E-B at some point...running out of key things!

No comments:

Post a Comment