Saturday, January 16, 2010

Being a bookworm

My favorite kind of book is non-fiction. Now, I'm not saying I wont read anything else, I just find non-fiction books so much more compelling: real people with real stories learning real lessons. Here are two books I'm into right now.

The first is "Half-Assed" by Jennette Fulda, who at one point in her life was around 372 pounds. She decided to make a lifestyle change and overhaul her bad habits and fix years of damage. I found myself connecting with her because she was around the same age as I am now when she decided to get healthy. Fulda also didn't have a huge life mishap to blame for her weight–she just had to find the right level of control to make her changes happen. She's also ridiculously hilarous and realistic about what her weight meant to her and to people around her. The best part about the book, which I just recently finished, was that she knows that she's going to have to make good decisions about food and exercise for. the. rest. of. her. life. It's a scary realization, but also a very necessary one to have.

Book number two is Gretchen Rubin's "The Happiness Project." I first heard about this book from the Today show. Rubin started the project to become more appreciative of the people and things around her so she could ultimately be happier. She mapped out her year-long project by dividing it into 12 different themes like Boost Energy, Remember Love and what not, and breaking those up into smaller resolutions to help the ultimate goal. For instance, she tried going to sleep earlier, de-cluttering, handling nagging tasks and exercising better. It's a nice how-to instrospective book that help you think about your own happiness. I'm a happy person, but there are definitely things I could do that would make me happier. With that being said, I'm going to try focusing on happiness and how to get it. Look forward to my mini Happiness Project here.

Anywhoo, we're watching Chuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment