Friday, January 15, 2010

Thinking time at the gym

Warning: This will be a longish blog. Bear with me if you will.

When I was a little girl, say around second grade, I was put on a diet. My parents were concerned I had thyroid issues, I got all sorts of tests done and I ended up at a nutritionist's office, being told what I could and couldn't eat.

Now, as a silly little (well I guess not so little cause I was being put on a diet, but I wasn't huge or anything) 7-year-old, I didn't really know what was going on. Our nanny would bring my food to school ( I vaguely remember it usually being boiled chicken–ick) and I'd eat that instead of whatever was in store at the cafeteria. It wasn't a horrible thing, I actually did lose quite a few pounds and I made some money. That sounds wrong but let me explain: My Dad (and we'll probably end up talking about this issue later) paid me $5 per pound and who knows what I did with it, I was 7 after all.

So this afternoon, while I was kicking my own ass at the gym, I was bombarded by all of the Haiti coverage on every news outlet. Now, let me start with this: the damage caused by the earthquake is horrible and devastating. Especially in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, where 80 percent of the population is below the poverty line and disease wreaks havoc.

But at the same time, I also saw how a lot of Americans are trying to help the Haitians. It's nice seeing people come through for others, especially when America is going through its own economic hard times. So in lieu of losing a whole 4 pounds since I started, I'm reinstating my dad's $5/pound incentive and donating $20 to Haiti along with prayers that the country gets back on its feet.

For anyone that finished reading: go you! and maybe think about making your own donations of either cash or good vibes...anything helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment